Delivery of judgment in absentia?

My company has filed a cheating case against me and the police, after interrogation, took me to the public prosecution but later released me after keeping me in custody for two days. In between, I have received a few messages and one notice but I ignored them. Now the company says that there is a judgment against me.

How can this happen?

1 Answer

According to Article 180 of the Criminal Procedure Code, if the defendant who has been duly summoned fails to appear before the court on the day set out in the summons, and did not send an attorney to represent him where such representation is permissible, the Court renders the judgment in his absence, after considering the documentations. If the summons has been delivered to him personally, and the court found that there was no justification for his absence, the judgment shall be deemed to be made in his presence. The court may, instead of rendering its judgment in absentia, adjourn the case to a subsequent hearing and order to be notified again and to be warned that if he fails to appear in this hearing, the judgment issued shall be considered in presence.

In case of judgments in absentia, the convicted person is allowed to file objection within seven days from being personally notified of the judgment. If the convicted person is not notified, the objection term starts by the date it is proved that he was notified. If the time for objection lapses without objection by the convicted person, the objection to the judgment shall not be accepted except by way of appeal, in permitted cases.